The Scholars’ Commons connects researchers—whether faculty, staff, students or community members—to IU experts, global resources, customized learning opportunities, and community spaces designed to assist with every stage of scholarship. Librarians staff our reference desk on the main floor of the East Tower of Wells Library, or reach out through chat, email or phone.
Reference Desk Service Hours
Summer 2020 (Online only)
- Monday-Friday 9:00AM-5:00PM
Fall 2020 (Online only)
- Monday-Thursday 8:00AM-9:00PM
- Friday 8:00AM-6:00PM
- Saturday 1:00PM-5:00PM
- Sunday 12:00PM-9:00PM
We are all on a journey and IU Libraries experts are the best kind of companions. We are your champions for greatness with all the right tools to help you succeed. Connect to our experts on every subject area taught at Indiana University Bloomington, as well as areas such as Copyright, Citation Management, Data Management, Visual Literacy, GIS/Mapping, Open Access, Creating research assignments, and Digital Collections.
As one of the nation's largest public academic research libraries, our legacy is the world-class collections we have been building and sharing for 200 years. Today, our database and subscription services ensure researchers face few barriers to information.
We are not satisfied with knowledge storage and delivery. We want to see you engage and evaluate information as you use it to spark something new. That's why we offer over 70 workshops each semester on topics relevant to your research and designed to encourage curiosity. Can't make it to a workshop? We also create helpful guides and tutorials which are accessible 24/7
We are a research destination. A place designed to offer you the most advanced technology and tools for your journey from curiosity to publication. Visit our Mini Makerspace for creative projects, reserve a collaboration room, or utilize our large-scale touchscreen IQ-Wall.
The following services are available from the the Scholars' Commons department:
Scholars' Commons Consultation Rooms
Scholars' Commons Digitization Lab
Scholars' Commons Consulting
Citation Management Support
Schedule an Appointment for Research Help
Need something else?
MLS student Stephanie Brown won the IU Libraries' Robert A. Oppliger Scholarship Award this spring.
Up-to-date information on modified library services due to COVID-19.
Check out cameras, microphones, and more from the Wells Library Mini Makerspace.
One place to connect to inspiring experts, resources, workshops, and exhibits.
The Scholars' Commons is located on the 1st Floor of the East Tower of Wells Library. Visit our:
- Exhibition Space designed to help you discover collections, art and even whole new worlds of study
Inspiring Mini Makerspace for creative projects
- Partner consultations with experts from the Center for Survey Research or the Institute for Digital Arts and Humanities
- Collaboration rooms for group meet ups with colleagues from around campus and around the world
- IQ-Wall for large-scale, touchscreen presentation of digital objects
- Digitization Lab for access to professional-grade scanning tools
- Reference Reading Room to access the print reference collection, including encyclopedias, dictionaries, atlases, indexes, and bibliographies, and our print periodical collections
- Secure Reading Room to access requested restricted materials