Library Cards

All scholars and researchers are welcome to use the resources of the IUB Libraries. Most library material may be checked out; notable exceptions include reference materials and periodicals. Either an IU identification card or a Borrower's Card must be presented at the circulation desk to check out material.

  • IUB Faculty, Staff, and Students: Those officially affiliated with IUB may check out library material for home or office use. You may activate your library account by showing proof of IU affiliation (usually your Crimson Card). 
    • Faculty wishing to grant proxy borrowing privileges to others (e.g. a student or other assistant) should contact Wells Library Circulation via email (, phone (812-855-4673), or in person.
  • Indiana Residents: Residents of the State of Indiana, Big Ten Academic Alliance (formerly CIC) Scholars, and OCLC Scholars are eligible for a Borrower's Card. You may obtain a Borrowers Card by bringing a photo ID and proof of Indiana residency (an Indiana driver's license or state ID card) to the circulation desk at the Wells Library East Tower Circulation Desk during regular operating hours; if you wish to visit another campus library to obtain a Borrower's Card, we advise you call ahead.
  • Visiting scholars and research associates must have an IU Employee ID number to register their account.

Lost or Stolen Cards: Report the loss or theft of a borrowers card immediately to the Circulation Desk at 812-855-4673.

A borrower is financially responsible for all material charged out on their library account.  The Libraries provide circulation services 52 weeks per year.  Borrowers must abide by Library Circulation Policies even when they are away from campus for vacation, research, sabbatical, etc.  In these situations borrowers must either return library materials before leaving campus or make arrangements for a responsible party to attend to their library business.

Borrowing privileges at other institutions for IUB affiliates – information about reciprocal borrowing programs to borrow from other colleges and universities in person.