Indiana University students, faculty and staff may place requests via IUCAT for delivery of materials from many libraries in the IU system including ALF, our offsite storage facility.
- Requests for items held in IU Bloomington campus libraries generally take 2-4 business days to complete.
- Requests for delivery coming from other IU campuses may take 7-10 business days to complete.
- For items held at multiple libraries, our library system randomizes requests to manage demand, so there is no guarantee of the home location of the item sent to you. An item held at both Kokomo and Wells Library, requested for pickup at Wells, is as likely to come from Kokomo as from the stacks at Wells.
- IU Bloomington students, faculty, and staff: When your material is available for pickup, we will contact you via your IU email address. You will need to bring that email with you, either printed or on your mobile device, when you come to pick up your item(s). You will also need your Crimson Card. You do not need to make an appointment for pickup.
- Indiana residents not currently affiliated with IU: While library stacks are closed, you may contact the Circulation Department (phone 812-855-4673 or email firstname.lastname@example.org) to request materials from Bloomington libraries only.
To inquire about items that do not display the "Request This" button in IUCAT:
- If you wish to use the item briefly inside the library, contact email@example.com to place your request. You will receive an email when your item is available for use. At that time you will need to reserve a space in the library to use the materials.
- If you are hoping to check out the item for use outside the library, ask a librarian.
Materials that are checked out may not be requested. Materials from the IUB Kinsey Library, Lilly Library, Archives of Traditional Music, University Archives, and the Bloomington Residence Halls are excluded. In addition, some materials (i.e. reference books, other non-circulating collections, and short-term loan collections such as DVDs and Wells Core Collection) from other libraries may be excluded. Items unavailable for delivery will not display the "Request This" button in IUCAT.
Find more information about Request Delivery in the Knowledge Base article, "At IU, how can I get materials from another library through IUCAT?"
ALF Requests (offsite storage)
Many items in the IUB Libraries' collections are housed in a collections vault at the Ruth Lilly Auxiliary Library Facility (ALF). The materials housed in the ALF are listed in the library online catalog, IUCAT.