When not on the IU Network or using a computer on campus in Bloomington, you can use the library website or the IU Bloomington EZProxy bookmarklet to check for a library subscription to specific content. Learn more about the EZProxy service.
Use the IU Bloomington EZProxy bookmarklet when you are on a website where there is a paywall and you are being asked to pay to access full text. After selecting the bookmarklet and logging in through IU Login, you will gain full text access if IU Bloomington has a subscription. But if IU Bloomington does not subscribe to the resource, the page will refresh without any changes or it may take you an error page. Explore interlibrary loan services to get access to articles, books, and other items IU Bloomington doesn't have.
The bookmarklet needs to be added as a bookmark to your browser. Follow the installation steps below based on the browser you're using. Once added, the next time you find yourself being asked to purchase an article, select the bookmark in your browser's bookmark toolbar to see if IU Bloomington provides full text access. The video, created by the University of Michigan, shows bookmarklet installation steps for Firefox.
- Right-click on the following link, then select "Copy Link Address": IU Bloomington EZProxy link.
- Go to "Bookmark Manager" under the Bookmarks menu.
- Navigate to the place you want to create this bookmark (the Bookmarks Bar, or elsewhere).
- Click the vertical three dot icon to the right of the Bookmark search box (normally on a blue background) and select "Add New Bookmark"
- Give the Bookmark a name (for example, "IUB EZProxy") and paste in the URL you copied in the first step in the URL field.
- Click "Save".
Note: In the latest version of the Mac OS (Yosemite), the Favorites bar is hidden by default. If you do not see the Favorites bar just below the URL, above the web page content, go to the View menu in Safari and select "Show Favorites Bar."
Drag this link to your Favorites toolbar:
Right-click on the following link, then select the "Bookmark This Link" option:
Right-click on this link:
Select the "Add to Favorites..." option. You may be warned that you are adding a link which may be unsafe. While some links like this may be unsafe, we believe this one is safe. You can click whichever option is required to continue.
Although Edge does not allow you to drag-and-drop a bookmarklet as do Chrome or Safari, if you have the bookmarklet in a different browser, you can import your bookmarks into Edge. You may need to delete duplicate or unwanted bookmarks after you have done so.
iPhone or iPad
- Tap the share icon () at the bottom center of the screen (iPhone, iPod Touch) or to the right of the location bar (iPad) and then tap Add Bookmark. Save the bookmark to your iPad or iPhone's Bookmarks folder (or wherever you would like it to be).
- Open the browser of your choice. Create a new bookmark of any page, then tap Edit. Replace the name of the bookmark and replace the bookmarks link with the copied link from step #1.
Other EZProxy/Online Access Tools
BrowZine lets you browse scholarly journals on your computer or mobile device. With the BrowZine app you can add your favorite journals** to your personal bookshelf and save articles to read later. The BrowZine app and web version are available to all IU Bloomington students, faculty, and staff.
Download the app to your Android, Apple, or Amazon device. When you open BrowZine for the first time, select Indiana University Bloomington from the list of schools and enter your IU username and passphrase.
BrowZine can also be accessed using any web browser.
**Supported publishers include Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Springer, Taylor & Francis, SAGE, Cambridge, Oxford, American Chemical Society, ACM, BioMed Central, PLoS, Project Muse, Mary Ann Liebert, and many more. Additional publishers are being added every month, so check the full list of currently supported publishers frequently.
Can't find full text access to the resources you need?