All IU Bloomington library buildings are closed for the rest of spring semester. We are still here to help: learn about our new and ongoing virtual library services.
Teaching & Learning
The Department of Teaching & Learning fosters an integrated approach to information literacy education. Information literacy involves using information critically in various contexts and for specific purposes. It includes but also extends beyond using library resources. While information literacy involves a complex range of interrelated abilities and dispositions, it may be broken into the following dimensions:
- Inquiry: Exploring and developing research questions; Identifying and evaluating information needs
- Evaluation: Assessing functions and uses of sources
- Knowledge creation: Using information to construct and communicate knowledge
- Conversation: Engaging in the exchange of ideas and knowledge
More about information literacy
The following services are available from the the Teaching & Learning department:
Distance Education Document & Book Delivery
Apply for an instructional grant
Need something else?
Updated information on library services during the suspension of in-person classes due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
IU Libraries explores the feasibility of using a room reservation system for group rooms located in the Learning Commons.
Instructors: Apply by March 27 for the Primary Source Immersion Program hosted by IUB librarians and archivists. Successful applicants could receive funding of up to $2000.
Across all disciplines of study, the processes of research and inquiry give students a common experience for discovering, synthesizing and contributing to scholarly conversations. By creating opportunities for students to seek, analyze, and use knowledge to create something new, librarians and faculty influence students’ critical thinking and self-efficacy. The learning experiences that evolve out of these inquiry-based research endeavors often transcend course content and disciplinary thinking, and help students establish a foundation of scholarly thought and critical awareness vital to their academic success and lifelong learning.
The Department of Teaching & Learning is dedicated to:
- connecting the libraries to student learning and the student experience at IUB
- collaborating with other librarians and faculty to integrate information literacy into the curriculum
- creating teaching-related opportunities for outreach to academic and non-academic departments
- collecting and documenting information literacy data libraries-wide for the purposes of assessment