The IU Libraries Screening Room (Wells Library 048) offers high-quality film and video projection with the flexibility of an open floor space for use by seminar classes and high-profile symposia.
The Screening Room seats up to 48 people with theater seating.
Due to its specialized technologies (more information below), the Screening Room is prioritized for a select number of classroom screenings, screenings on archival or high-end digital technologies that are not met by the average classroom, talks and/or conferences featuring high profile speakers, and as a place to test new in-progress film/video productions by students and/or faculty.
Booking the Screening Room
The IU Libraries Screening Room is booked on a first-come, first-serve basis for the current and upcoming semesters. The Libraries reserve the right to deny any requests. It is not available for screenings or functions proposed by organizations or individuals from outside of Indiana University.
We strongly recommend submitting your booking request at least 48 hours prior to your screening event.
- If your request is accepted the Libraries will provide a projectionist/technician to ensure a smooth viewing experience.
- You as the requestor are responsible for
- securing the media to be presented including any shipping costs
- covering the fees and legal clearance involved in public performance rights;
- any publicity
- A small reception area is available for certain events.
- Food and/or drinks are not allowed in the Screening Room.
- Cancellations and No-Shows: If you need to cancel or change your reservation, please notify us immediately. We will hold the room for 20 minutes after your scheduled start time; after that, if you have not arrived, we will close the room and cancel the event.
The following audiovisual formats can be presented in the IU Libraries Screening Room:
- Film: 16mm
- Video: U-matic / VHS / LaserDisc / DVD / Blu-ray / plus the ability to patch in other decks
- Digital: Laptops through HDMI or VGA connectors / Apple Pro-Res / 2K DCP
The IU Libraries Screening Room uses the following projectors:
- for film, two Eastman 25 16mm film projectors
- for analog and digital video, a Barco 2K Digital Cinema projector.
The room can be arranged to accommodate a smaller number of individuals either with theater seating (left, below) or chairs arranged around one or more tables (classroom setup, right below).