To link to this database use: https://libraries.indiana.edu/databases/nyt
Access to nytimes.com and via apps. Additional access options for the New York Times are available.
IUB Affiliates: To register for access, go to http://go.iu.edu/registerNYT. Students will be prompted to provide their anticipated graduation date in order to complete the registration process. Once activated, you can access all content at NYTimes.com from a Web browser, as well as via NYTimes.com smartphone and tablet apps, from any location. Students will need to renew the IUB Group Pass annually. Faculty will need to renew every 4 years.
Unaffilated users may access up to 10 free articles (including blog posts, slide shows and other multimedia features) each month on NYTimes.com. This free, limited access resets at the beginning of each calendar month.
Smartphone and tablet apps can be downloaded for free by visiting: http://www.nytimes.com/services/mobile/index.html (Please note e-reader apps are excluded from our Academic Group Pass.)
New IUB Affiliated Users - One-Time Activation of NYTimes.com IUB Group Pass
- Go to http://go.iu.edu/registerNYT
- Create a NYTimes.com account using your IU email address. (Note: If you already have a NYTimes.com account using your IU email address, you may log in with those credentials)
- When you see START YOUR ACCESS, the expiration time and date of your pass will appear
- Go to NYTimes.com and enjoy your full access from any location
Returning IUB Affilated Users
Once you have activated your IUB Group Pass account, it should allow you full access until your expiration date with no further action on your part. However, if for any reason while on NYTimes.com you are served the message that you are reaching the limit of free articles on the site, please do the following: Make sure you are logged in to the NYTimes.com account with which you activated your Group Pass. If you log out of your account or visit NYTimes.com on a device where you are not logged in, you can simply log in to your account to continue enjoying access.
If your Group Pass has expired: Visit http://go.iu.edu/registerNYT to activate a new pass. Make sure you are logged in to the NYTimes.com account with which you activated your IUB Group Pass.
- 1851-1922: unlimited article availability
- 1923-1980: up to five articles per day per user
- 1981-present: unlimited article availability
Additional access options for the New York Times:
- Access to the New York Times from 2008 to the present (with a lag time of about three months)
Digitized microfilm of the NYT with a 3-month embargo. Note: The IUB Library holds the physical microfilm for the NYT as well. The microfilm copy is especially important given that some articles are not available in the ProQuest resource because of the Supreme Court's Tasini ruling concerning the copyright rights of independent journalists and writers. ProQuest entries carry a note referring one to the microfilm copy.
- Access to the New York Times from 1851 - 2013 (plus access to the Times Index from 1851 - 1993)
Coverage: Varies - Updated daily
Vendor: Center for Research Libraries
Producer: New York Times
Interlibrary Loan Type: Not Permitted
Simultaneous User Limit: Unlimited simultaneous users