Digital preservation encompasses all activities involved in managing digital materials and stewarding them into the future. This involves preservation strategies such as migration, file normalization, and emulation, as well as activities surrounding disaster planning, preservation metadata capture, etc. Materials to be preserved include those that are created through digitization projects and those created and maintained digitally (born-digital).
Digital preservation services currently provided by the Indiana University-Bloomington Libraries include file and media migration, file format recommendations, and overall project guidance. If you have any general questions regarding digital preservation or you would like guidance in managing a personal, institutional, or consortial collection, please contact Danielle Spalenka
- Digital Preservation Handbook : Supported by the Digital Preservation Coalition, the Handbook provides an internationally authoritative and practical guide to the subject of managing digital resources over time and the issues in sustaining access to them.
- Sustainable Heritage Network Digital Collections Stewardship Curriculum: This course series provides guidance to navigate through the lifecycle of digital stewardship. This lifecycle describes the entire ongoing range of tasks and activities necessary to successfully share and preserve digital collections.
- Digital POWRR Project: What is Digital Preservation? : Grant-funded project that provides trainings and resources related to digital preservation. This page provides a great intro and starter guide for learning more about digital preservation.
- Digital Preservation Management Online Workshop : A workshop focused on baseline knowledge of digital preservation concepts. Good for general knowledge, some information may be out of date.
- MIT's Data Management Libguide : This libguide offers information on managing, storing, and sharing data.
- The New School's Personal Digital Archiving Libguide : Useful information for managing your own personal files and collections.
Digital Preservation Media
- The Signal: Library of Congress' Digital Preservation Blog
- DPC Technology Watch Reports
- International Journal of Digital Curation (IJDC)
- Academic Preservation Trust : A shared digital preservation repository developed out of the University of Virginia.
- Digital POWRR Project : Since its inception in 2012, the Preserving digital Objects With Restricted Resources (Digital POWRR) Project has endeavored to make digital preservation more accessible to a wider range of cultural heritage professionals.
- Maintenance Culture: NEH-funded project to address challenges related to preserving complex, born-digital, creative works in small institutions.
- Community Owned digital Preservation Tool Registry (COPTR) : COPTR is a wiki based registry of digital preservation tools. It's main aim is to help practitioners discover preservation tools that will help them tackle particular preservation challenges.
National and International Organizations