Digital preservation encompasses all activities involved in managing digital materials and stewarding them into the future. This involves preservation strategies such as migration, file normalization, and emulation, as well as activities surrounding disaster planning, preservation metadata capture, etc. Materials to be preserved include those that are created through digitization projects and those created and maintained digitally (born-digital).
Digital preservation services currently provided by the Indiana University-Bloomington Libraries include file and media migration, file format recommendations, and overall project guidance. If you have any general questions regarding digital preservation or you would like guidance in managing a personal, institutional, or consortial collection, please contact Michelle Dalmau.
- Digital Preservation Management Online Workshop : A workshop focused on baseline knowledge of digital preservation concepts. Good for general knowledge, some information may be out of date.
- Arts and Humanities Data Service Digital Preservation Glossary : A PDF document containing definitions of commonly used words in digital preservation.
- The Archeology Data Service Guides to Good Practice : Broad overview of good practices in data management and digital preservation.
- MIT's Tools for Understanding Digital Files Libguide and Life Cycle Management Libguide : These libguides offer resources and information on tools used by digital archivists and preservationists. The Resources section is particularly useful for those new to the field of digital preservation.
- The New School's Personal Digital Archiving Libguide : Useful information for managing your own personal files and collections.
Digital Preservation Media
- International Journal of Digital Curation (IJDC)
- MiTH Blog
- The Signal: Library of Congress' Digital Preservation Blog
- David Rosenthal's blog
- Practical e-Records - Chris Prom's Blog
- Acid-Free Bits
- DPC Technology Watch Reports
- Digital Archiving at the University of York
- Academic Preservation Trust : A shared digital preservation repository developed out of the University of Virginia.
- Digital Preservation Network (DPN) : An infrastructure of repositories aimed at preserving content into the long-term.
National and International Organizations
- Open Preservation Foundation (OPF)
- National Digital Stewardship Alliance (NDSA)
- Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC)
- Digital Curation Centre (DCC)
- Network of Expertise in Long-term STOrage of Digital Resources (NESTOR)
- Digital Curation Exchange
- Digital Cultural Heritage Roadmap for Preservation (DCH-RP)
- Educopia Institute