The Herman B Wells Library is a destination for students, faculty, and researchers who use the resources and services in the building to accomplish their academic goals. The activity within the Wells Library reflects the diversity within the academic community and requires that we balance the interests and needs of those using the building.
Our goal is to limit disruptions to the everyday work of students and faculty who rely on the environments the library provides, while also accommodating a small number of events that advance the mission of the IU Bloomington Libraries.
The policy below describes lobby use within the context of our overall mission to support the teaching, learning, and research on campus.
• The Wells Library Lobby is open 24 hours per day with the exception of a limited number of times near major holidays.
• From 12 midnight to 8am use of the Wells Library Lobby is restricted to IU faculty, staff, and students (must be able to produce a valid IU Photo ID upon request).
• Individuals are permitted to have food and beverages.
• Food deliveries to individuals are permitted in the Lobby area.
• The distribution of food, large group meals, or the distribution and sale of merchandise is prohibited. In some instances, the distribution of food, beverages, or merchandise may be permitted if distributors are able to produce written authorization from IU Bloomington Libraries Administration (firstname.lastname@example.org, 812-855-3404).
• Designated bulletin boards are located near the staircase leading to the ground floor.
• Bulletin boards are cleared on Tuesday of every week.
• The Lobby display cases are not available to non-library groups.
• The outside library entrance display cases are available for use by IU-affiliated groups.
Groups may leave a copy of their poster at the Scholars' Commons Reference Desk (East Tower, first floor).
Details and size provisions are posted within the outside display cases.
• The Wells Library sanctions a limited number of public events in the Lobby including orientation activities and library-related events.
• Individuals or groups may not hold organized events, activities, information tables or displays, or sales tables in the Wells Library Lobby with the exception of the Wells Library- sponsored InfoShare Days. <libraries.indiana.edu/infoshare>
• Solicitation and distribution of leaflets, fliers, coupons, etc., are not permitted in the Wells Library Lobby without written permission from IU Bloomington Libraries Administration (email@example.com, 812-855-3403).
• The Wells Library Lobby lockers are available for daily use.
• The Lobby lockers are cleared each morning at 8am.
• Tokens for locker use may be purchased at the East Tower circulation desk on the first floor for $.50 per use.
• The Libraries are not responsible for personal items left in the lockers, or elsewhere in the library.
• Questions about the lockers should be directed to the East Tower circulation desk.
• More information about lockers
GENERAL (including, but not limited to)
• The use of scooters, bicycles, skates, or skateboards is not permitted in the Wells Library Lobby.
• Pets are not permitted in the Lobby.
• Sleeping is not permitted in the Lobby.
• Non-offensive personal hygiene is expected of all Lobby users.
• Appropriate public attire, including shoes, is required.
• Persons who exhibit disruptive or unlawful behavior may be asked to leave the Library, or reported to IUPD.
Policy questions should be directed to the IU Bloomington Libraries Administration Office, located on the second floor of Herman B Wells Library, West Tower, Room 234 (firstname.lastname@example.org, 812-855-3403).