Masks and physical distancing will still be required at Indiana University in summer 2021, regardless of vaccination status.
Summer 2021 operations at IU Libraries
What to expect at IU Libraries this summer
Although many things have changed throughout this school year, our commitment to you has not wavered. We are still, and always, here to help. Please reach out us to discuss particular needs—we continue to welcome these conversations.
- Virtual reference will continue and these hours of service are not tied to building hours.
- Beginning May 17, appointments are no longer required for open study seating at any location. Single-person study rooms must still be reserved.
- Building hours are published for each library location and will remain up-to-date if any changes are needed. Reminder, all libraries are closed on Memorial Day (May 31) and in observance of Independence Day (July 5)
- The Lilly Library will remain closed this summer as the renovation is completed, and the Sciences Library is appointment only, but all other library buildings are open. At Wells Library, spaces such as the Screening Room, Digitization Lab, and Makerspace will not be open this summer.
- Our Wells stacks will require a browsing appointment at all times through June 30. Request delivery services remain available. Beginning July 1, the East Tower will be open for stacks browsing as well as to access graduate carrels and faculty studies.
- Materials will no longer be held in quarantine upon return, effective April 26. Surface transmission is not considered to be a significant risk; there have been no documented instances of contracting the virus from handling library materials.
Accessing our print collections
- Our stacks are expected to open in all locations July 1, and remain open in the fall. Materials offered digitally through the HathiTrust ETAS cannot be circulated until August 15.
- HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access will end August 15. This means the digitized access to our print materials will return to previous copyright status and will not be offered as it is at present. Normal circulation will resume.