An Archival Remix Contest
Presented by IU Libraries' Moving Image Archive
This contest is now over. Please look for the next one Spring of 2024.
IU Libraries is thrilled to announce Media School undergraduate student, EVA STUART, as the FIRST PLACE WINNER of the 2023 Safer Together : An Archival Remix Contest! Eva's winning video, "Drive Safely," can be viewed here on Media Collections Online!
In Spring 2023, IU Libraries launched its first-ever archival remix contest with support from the IU Libraries Moving Image Archive. In response to the alarming number of bike and pedestrian accidents and deaths, participants were invited to create a short, compelling video using archival footage to raise awareness about street safety.
All videos were judged by a Review Board in categories of originality, quality, appropriateness, and effectiveness of raising awareness around street safety. As first place winner, Eva received a prize of $2,000! As runner-ups, Richard and Srikar each received a prize of $500!
Archival Videos from Moving Image Archive
From 2018-2022, the City of Bloomington recorded over 400 reported collisions involving bikes or pedestrians (including scooters). Indiana University Libraries Moving Image Archive invites YOU to create a short, compelling video using archival footage to raise awareness about street safety. Through a juried competition, awarded videos that meet the below criteria, will win a prize of up to $2,000! Winning videos will be used in various IU ad campaigns starting in Fall 2023.
- Any current full time or part time student enrolled at class(es) at IU Bloomington!
- Videos must be submitted by a singular person. One submission is allowed per person. Group submissions will not be reviewed.
- Create a 30 second video aimed at increasing public awareness of injuries and deaths caused by electric scooters, bike, pedestrian and street crossing accidents and promote safe practices for use of street safety in all forms.
- Videos must use portions of a minimum of two archival films related to street safety provided by IU Libraries’ Moving Image Archive. All videos for possible use can be viewed and downloaded here.
- Videos may include newly recorded original content.
- Videos must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. EST, Sunday, May 21, 2023, by filling out this Submission Form.
- A panel of judges will review submitted videos for originality, quality, appropriateness, and effectiveness of raising awareness around street safety. First place winner will receive $2,000. Runner(s) up will receive $500.
- The winning video(s) will be announced by Monday, July 17, 2023.
- The winning video(s) will be used in various IU ad campaigns starting in the Fall 2023 semester.
- The number of deaths and injuries caused by street accidents can be decreased. Creating a Public Service Announcement is a way to care for each other and teach our community about the seriousness of street safety.
- Gain experience making a short video using archival footage – add it to your portfolio/resume!
Submit Your Video for Safer Together
- Videos must be up to 30 seconds long.
- Video must communicate the importance of street safety.
- Submissions must include archival footage from a minimum of two archival videos provided by IU Libraries Moving Image Archive.
- Submissions can be in any style or genre, including animation, drama, comedy, musical, narrative,or documentary. We encourage creativity!
- Use of music in the video is optional. To avoid violating copyright law, entrants are strongly encouraged to use either an original song or royalty-free licensed music (e.g., music purchased — or downloaded for free — from a stock music website).
- Contestants are responsible for securing all necessary rights, licenses, clearances, releases, consents and/or permissions from any other people who appear in the video entry. Any relevant clearances, releases, consent, or permission forms must be submitted along with the video. https://vpgc.iu.edu/forms/media-release.html
- You represent and warrant that your entry is original.
- You retain ownership of your video. However, by entering “IU Libraries Moving Image Archive Presents: Safer Together: An Archival Remix Contest,” you grant to the IU worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable license to use that video (including to reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works, display and perform it) in connection with IU’s (and its successors’ and Affiliates’) business, including for the purpose of promoting “IU Libraries Moving Image Archive Presents : Safer Together: An Archival Remix Contest.”