Procedures for transfer of University records
- The disposition of University records should be managed according to a records disposition schedule, which would indicate how long specific record series should be retained. If your records have not been scheduled, please contact Dina Kellams, University Archivist at 812-855-2323, or e-mail her at email@example.com. Please do not destroy records that have not been scheduled.
- Please do not send records to the University Archives without first consulting with the Archives staff.
- The Archives prefers annual transfers of these records. To set up a transfer schedule, contact an archivist for assistance.
- When you are ready to transfer records, notify the Archives staff at 812-855-1127, or contact the staff via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are transferring a large volume of records, the Archives staff will first examine the records onsite.
- If you detect the presence of mold, mildew, insects, etc., in your records, please contact the Archives staff immediately, and a staff member will examine the records onsite.
Packing and labeling of the boxes
- Files should be transferred in archival record center boxes. These boxes can be obtained for free through the University Archives.
- Records should be packed in the order in which they were kept in the office.
- Records should be in file folders that are labeled with a folder title and inclusive dates.
- Hanging file folders should be replaced with regular file folders.
- Each box should be labeled in pencil with only the box number. Please do not write the name of your department on the boxes.
- A complete box and folder inventory for the accession should be created in Microsoft Word or in plain text and emailed to the Archives.