Scrapbooks, May Festival programs, and a wealth of photographs make up this month's haul.
Clarence Flaten (1910-1974) was Supervisor of Photography at the Indiana University Audio-Visual Center from 1949-1974 and a faculty member in the IU School of Education from 1958-1974. This collection documents Clarence Flaten’s family life, professional career at Indiana University, and military service during World War II. Perhaps the most exciting part of the collection are the hundreds of photographs taken by Flaten, his father Gunerius, and other Flaten family members. Topics range from late 19th century North Dakota settlements to World War II US Army Air Forces bases in the U.S. and India to Clarence and Mary Flaten’s burgeoning clan’s (8 children!) childhood in Ann Arbor and Bloomington from the 1940s through the 1960s.
A significant portion of Flaten’s photographs have been digitized, and more are being added to our online Archives Photograph Collection every day!
Indiana University faculty members and student groups organized campus springtime May Day celebrations as early as 1897. From 1908 through at least 1928, the Women's Athletic Association and IU Department of Physical Education for Women organized the official campus May Festival, which featured dance exercises by female students and musical performances. This collection contains May Festival programs dating from 1897 through 1928, as well as a student ticket to a 1926 May Day event.
This collection documents the activities of Geraldine K. White, who was among the earliest classes to graduate from the University School of Commerce and Finance (B.S. Commerce, 1926). She probably was a classmate of Herman B Wells, who was enrolled in the school at the same time (B.S. 1924)! Geraldine’s collection dates from 1922-1926 ands consist of notes from Geraldine’s classes in the Economics and Sociology, Commerce and Finance, Fine Arts, and Philosophy departments, as well as scrapbooks illustrating her life at IU.
John Gombojab Hangin taught at Indiana University in the Department of Uralic and Altaic Studies from 1964 to 1989 and was one of the top scholars in Mongolian Studies. His papers include notebooks, correspondence, drafts of writings, slides, photographs, and other materials related to his scholarly activities.