Use the following guide as a key to interpreting the meaning of parts of the citations and abbreviations found in citations to Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.
|Bloomington (Monroe County)|
|1920||01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10||InU|
|1927-1934||33 sheets||In & m|
- "Bloomington" is the name of the community which is listed as the title of the volume of Sanborn Maps.
- "Monroe County" is the county in which Bloomington is located.
- "1927" is the year in which the map was published; "1927-1934" indicates that the maps were published in 1927 and revised through 1934.
- "01 02 03," etc. should be links to digital copies of the maps where available. If there is no link, then that map is currently missing from the digital collection.
- "28 sheets" indicates the number of sheets in a set that we do not have digital copies of.
- "InU" and "In" are location symbols.
- "m" indicates that the holdings are available in microform as well as the original (print) colored maps.
Key to Symbols
This key is taken from the 195 Catalogue of insurance maps published by Sanborn Map Company, 1950 [IUCat Call no: HG 9771 .C37 1949].
The following location codes are listed in the Union List of Sanborn Maps.
|Location Code||Name of Institution|
|CLU||University of California, Los Angeles|
|IaU||University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa City|
|In||Indiana State Library, Indianapolis|
|InFW||Fort Wayne Public Library|
|InTV||Vigo County Historical Society, Terre Haute|
|InU||Indiana University, Geography & Map Library, Bloomington|
|IU||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|MiD||Detroit Public Library|
|NN||New York Public Library, Map Division|
|Symbols||Other Abbreviations and Symbols|
|?||Number of sheets unknown|