Indiana places and features are easy to identify through one of the gazetteers listed below. Historical ones can be more difficult. Contact us if we can assist. email@example.com, Government Information, Maps and Microform Services, East Tower 2 Wells Library, Indiana University Bloomington, IN 47405 (812-855-1108).
- Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)
Contains information about almost 2 million physical and cultural geographic features in the United States. Internet edition of:
Title: The National gazetteer of the United States of America -- Indiana, 1988 / prepared by the U.S. Geological Survey in cooperation with the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
Published: [Reston, Va.?]: The Survey; Denver, CO: For sale by the Books and Open-File Reports Section, U.S. Geological Survey, 1988.
Description: xxv, 477 p.: ill., maps; 29 cm.
Location: See IUCat.
Note: The print edition includes an excellent article, "Indiana" by Jon C. Campbell, about Indiana history. The text has been digitized here for your convenience: Campbell's Indiana.
- The Indiana gazetteer, or topographical dictionary of the state of Indiana. [Full text through HathiTrust]
Edition: 3d ed.
Published: Indianapolis, E. Chamberlain, 1849.
Description: viii, 440 p. ill., 18 pl., map. 21 cm.
Note: Plates are engravings of the following: State House, Indianapolis; State Bank, Indianapolis; Deaf and Dumb Asylum, near Indianapolis; Insane Hospital, near Indianapolis; State University, Bloomington; Wabash College, Crawfordsville; Court House, Connersville; Franklin College, Franklin; Asbury University, Greencastle; Hanover College, Hanover; First Presbyterian Church, Indianapolis; Wesley Chapel, Indianapolis; Hon. O.H. Smith's Residence, Indianapolis; Branch Bank, Madison; Christ Church, Madison; Residence of A. W. Morris, Esq., Indianapolis; State Sentinel Building, Indianapolis; State Journal Building, Indianapolis; Masonic Hall Indianapolis; Map of Cannelton, Cannelton; Cotton Mill, Cannelton; Hon. A. T. Ellis's Residence, Vincennes; Market House, Vincennes; Market Street, Vincennes.
- Baker, Ronald L. and Marvin Carmony. Indiana place names. [Search within text through HathiTrust]
Published: Bloomington: Indiana University Press, c1975.
Description: xxii, 196 p.: map (1 fold in pocket); 24 cm.
- Baker, Ronald L., 1937-. From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier place names in folklore and history. [Search within text via HathiTrust]
Published: Bloomington: Indiana University Press, c1995.
Description: 371 p.; 24 cm.
- Dunn, Jacob Piatt, 1855-1924. True Indian stories, with glossary of Indiana Indian names. [Reprint of 1908 version, available through Google Books]
Published: Indianapolis, Ind., Sentinel printing company, 1908.
Description: 4 p. l., 320 p. illus. (incl. maps) 2 col. port. (incl. front.) 20 cm.
- McPherson, Alan, 1947-. Indian names in Indiana.
Published: [Indiana: s.n.], 1993 (Monticello: Blasted Works)
Description: xvi, 112 p.: ill., maps; 23 cm.
- Scott, John, 1793-1838. The Indiana gazetteer; or, Topographical dictionary. [Full text available through HathiTrust]
Published: Indianapolis, Indiana Historical Society, 1954.
Description: 129 p. fold. map (in pocket) facsims. 24 cm.
- The Indiana gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the state of Indiana. [Full text available through HathiTrust]
Edition: 3d ed.
Published: Indianapolis: E. Chamberlain, 1849.
Description: viii, 440 p.: ill., map; 21 cm.
Location: Lilly Stacks: F524 .C39
- New topographical atlas and gazetteer of Indiana: comprising a topographical view of the several counties of the state; together with a railroad map of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois ... including complete maps of the United States, Europe, and the world.
Published/Produced: Indianapolis: Higgins & Ryan, 1870.
Description: 1 v. (various pagings): col. maps; 45 cm.
Mathematic map data: Scales differ; Polyconic proj.
- Robert C. Kingsbury. An atlas of Indiana. [Digitized version avaiable here. Gazetteer here.]
Note: With contributions from John M. Hollingsworth and others. --
Published/Produced: Bloomington, Dept. of Geography, Indiana Univ., 1970
Series: Indiana University Dept. of Geography. Occasional Publication no. 5)
For other gazetteers related to Indiana and its regions, search IUCAT under Indiana--Gazetteers.