Perhaps the most comprehensive place to begin the search is in OCLC's WorldCat. Because libraries around the world have contributed cataloging records to this database, many current and historical documents are included. To determine if Indiana University owns the document and where it is housed at IU, check IUCAT. However, many libraries, including IU, have not completed cataloging historical government documents, so it may be necessary to verify a publication in one of the bibliographic tools listed below. We will continue to digitize these bibliographies as time permits. Until complete, consult the print copies available in Government Information, Maps and Microform Services.
Historical Indiana documents are being digitized by various libraries and organizations. The Indiana State Library and the Indiana State Archives are coordinating Indiana Memory with various local public libraries and organizations. IUB is a member of the HathiTrust, so many pre-1923 documents might be included there. IUB also has a Historic Maps of Indiana project. If there is a state document you wish were in digital format, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Index to Indexes of Indiana State Publications. [1800-1940]. [n.p.:n.d.]
- Bowker, Richard Robert. State Publications: a provisional list of the official publications of the several states of the United States from their organization. New York: Office of the Publishers' Weekly. 1908. p. 220-227.
- Howe, Daniel Waite. A descriptive catalogue of the official publications of the Territory and State of Indiana from 1800 to 1890 including references to the laws establishing the various state offices and institutions, and an index to the official reports. Indiana Historical Society Publications. Volume II, No. 5. Indianapolis: R.R. Bowker, 1902. Indiana is Part II, p. 218-228.
- Documentary Journals: annual reports of the officers of State, etc. 1835-1910. Prior to 1835, reports were published in Senate and House Journals. For Index to these Journals see 23rd biennial report of the State Librarian, 1899/1900. p.293.
Most of these are housed in the ALF. Scattered duplicate issues remain in ET2, IUB Wells Library. See IUCat records below for details.
Some issues available through HathiTrust and other records.
- "The Public Documents of Indiana." Library Occurrent, Vol. 2, 1908. Part I, p. 108-111, and Part II, p. 130-133.
"Indiana Documents received at the State Library" Library Occurrent, various issues 1906-1973.
Issues before 1923 are available through HathiTrust.
- Indiana Yearbook. Indianapolis, In: The State. 1917-1950. Includes annual reports of major state agencies.
Online at: http://purl.dlib.indiana.edu/iudl/general/VAA3220
- Checklist of Indiana State Documents. Indiana State Library. 1973- .
Current issues available online from the Indiana State Library.
- For maps, see Historic Maps of Indiana from Government Information, Maps and Microform Services.
For additional assistance, contact email@example.com.
See other Indiana Guides.