Do I need an appointment to visit?

Although appointments are not required, it is always a good idea to contact us ahead of time and let us know what materials you are interested in viewing so that we can have them available for you.  Most of our collections are located in offsite storage and 24-48 hours advance notice is required to see materials from those collections.

Where can I park when I visit the Archives?

If you are visiting for a short period, it is recommended you park in one of the campus lots or garages. The garages closest to the Wells Library are those on Jordan Avenue and the corner of Eleventh and Fee Lane. If you plan to stay longer, one-day or weekly guest passes may be purchased on campus. Alternatively, one day permits may be purchased on your way into town at the Bloomington Visitor's Center

Can I check out books or other materials?

No, like most archives and special collection repositories, materials in the collections are non-circulating and must be used in the Archives reading room.  The only exception to this rule is that we will loan materials to the office of origination, although we still prefer that materials are used in the Archives.

Are your materials available online?

It would be impossible to digitize our entire collection, as the University Archives houses approximately 17,000 cubic feet of records and an estimated 2 million photographic images.  We are constantly working to digitize select materials and information on special projects are linked from our home page.  Additionally, you can search finding aids for our processed collections through Archives Online. These finding aids provide you with an overall description of our processed archival materials and do not represent our entire holdings; within the finding aids you will find select digitized materials as we have a regular workflow to scan high-use folders or files based on research requests. Again, these finding aids only reflect a portion of our holdings. If you do not find what you are looking for, please contact the Archives staff, as we may still have something related to your area of interest.

Can I make photocopies of materials?

Yes, in most cases photocopies can be created.  However, researchers are not permitted to make their own photocopies, and due to the fragile nature of materials some items may not be able to be duplicated at all.  Requests for a large number of copies may exceed our staff resources, but we will make suggestions as to how to satisfy your request.  Photocopies are $.30 per page.  We accept cash, checks (payable to Indiana University Archives), credit cards, or you may charge the copies to an IU departmental account.  At this time, we are unable to CampusAccess cards. You may also use your own camera or phone to take pictures of manuscript materials as long as the flash is off. 

Can I get copies of photographs in your collection?

Yes.  Additional information on scanning charges is available via our page on Prices for Reproduction Services. For additional information please contact our Photographs Curator, Brad Cook ( or 812-855-4495).

You have films (or sound recordings) that I would like to have copied.  Can I order this?

Yes. Talk to an Archives staff member for additional information. 

Can you send me a copy of my transcript?

The Archives does not have these records.  Information on how to request a copy of your transcript can be found on the Office of the Registrar's website.

Can I obtain a copy of my thesis/dissertation?

The Archives does not collect student theses and dissertations.  The Herman B Wells Library does collect dissertations, however, and you can search for the dissertation in the library catalog at  Try also contacting the department in which you completed the work, as they do sometimes keep copies of theses. Those affiliated with Indiana University Bloomington can also access the Libraries' subscription to ProQuest Theses and Dissertations Global.

Do you have the Indiana Daily Student?

We do, but for preservation purposes and broader access, we have had it microfilmed and do not allow patrons access to the paper copies in the Archives.  The microfilm is available in the Government Information, Microforms, and Statistical Services department on the 2nd floor of the Herman B Wells Library.  The reels are also available through interlibrary loan. Those affiliated with Indiana University Bloomington can also access the Libraries' subscription to Access Newspaper Archives, where the IDS is digitized through 1923.

How do I cite the items from your collections that I used?

Please cite: [item], [Name of Collection], [Collection number], Indiana University Archives, Bloomington.

There is research I would like to do, but I don't think I can come to Bloomington. Can I hire a research assistant?

Yes, we have several graduate students from the Department of Information and Library Science who are available to conduct research projects under your direction.  Once we locate a student who is interested in conducting the research, we will put them in contact with you and together you can establish fees and any other details of the research.  We will aid the students in finding resources, but we otherwise remove ourselves from the process.

How can I find out the value of a book or item in my possession?

The Archives does not provide monetary appraisals, nor can we recommend specific dealers or appraisers to you.  We suggest you contact:

What if the appraisal is for materials I plan to donate to the Archives?

Unfortunately, we are still not permitted to provide you with a monetary appraisal nor can we pay for the appraisal.  We will, however, send you a letter citing the historical significance of the materials when we send you the Deed of Gift.

I have some papers and books that I would like to sell to the Archives.  Who do I need to speak with about this?

Unfortunately, it is not within our budget to purchase materials.  Please consider a donation.  In any case, please contact the Archives to discuss the materials.

How can I give a monetary gift to the Archives?

This can be done easily through the IU Foundation. Just search for the University Archives in the "Search all funds" box. (Thank you!)

Can the Archives help me preserve my old books, photographs, or papers?

The Archivist can provide basic guidance to researchers in preserving their personal collections or family treasures.  However, there is a wealth of information available online:

Filed Under: