To link to this resource use: https://libraries.indiana.edu/resources/etcorpus
INDIVIDUAL USER ACCOUNT REQUIRED TO DOWNLOAD DATA. SELECT "MORE INFO" FOR INSTRUCTIONS. Developed by Educational Testing Service and comprised of 12,100 English essays written by speakers of 11 non-English native languages as part of an international test of academic English proficiency, TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
- Go to: https://catalog.ldc.upenn.edu/login
- Select “Create a new account”
- Review the Terms and Conditions and click “Accept”
- Fill out the New User Registration > be sure to enter “Indiana University” in the Organization field
- The Libraries’ will receive a notice to confirm the status of the registrant; the registrant will receive a notice once they have been recognized as a member of Indiana University
- Navigate to “Downloads”, and initiate a download of ETS Corpus of Non-Native Written English to your personal computer
The corpus was developed with the specific task of native language identification in mind, but is likely to support tasks and studies in the educational domain, including grammatical error detection and correction and automatic essay scoring, in addition to a broad range of research studies in the fields of natural language processing and corpus linguistics. For the task of native language identification, the following division is recommended: 82% as training data, 9% as development data and 9% as test data, split according to the file IDs accompanying the data set.
The data is sampled from essays written in 2006 and 2007 by test takers whose native languages were Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Telugu, and Turkish. The essays are presented in both original raw and tokenized forms and presented in UTF-8 formatted text files. Also included are the prompts (topics) for the essays and metadata about the test takers' proficiency level.
Vendor: University of Pennsylvania
Producer: Linguistic Data Consortium
Interlibrary Loan Type: Not Permitted
Simultaneous User Limit: Unlimited simultaneous users