Digital Collections Services provides two levels of digitization services: full-service digital archiving reserved for internal projects led by the IU Libraries and self-service digitization lab open to all members of the IU community as part of the Scholars’ Commons.
Digitization Consultation and Production Services
Our internal production lab is dedicated to the digitization of materials from IU Libraries’ special collections, affiliated archives, and cultural heritage organizations on the IU Bloomington campus. We also offer advice on appropriate hardware, software, and procedures for digital conversion and for management and migration of born-digital objects. As part of our assessment of candidates for digitization we advise on appropriate procedures for material handling and provide preservation recommendations for the physical items.
Scholars' Commons Digitization Lab
The Scholars' Commons Digitization Lab is a high-end multimedia, multidisciplinary self-service lab dedicated to the digital conversion of materials, and the management and migration of born-digital objects in support of research needs and interests of Indiana University Bloomington's faculty and graduate students.
This lab is comprised of two adjoining spaces: the open Digitization Lab and the Secure Digital Analysis room. The open Lab provides large format flatbed, high speed, transparency-capable, and sheet-fed scanners for textual documents (bound, loose-leaf, manuscript, etc.), photographs, negatives, and small to medium three-dimensional objects. The Secure Digital Analysis room is primarily for the digitization and analysis of audio and video. See a list of the labs' hardware and software and instructions on how to use the equipment and software located in the labs.
- Self-service, walk-in according to Wells Library East Tower hours of operation
Staffed by trained technicians:
- Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4 pm (Fall and Spring semesters)
- Monday through Friday, 10 am to 1 pm (Summer semester)
- Consult the Scholars' Commons Digitization Lab Policy for more information.
- If you think the IU Libraries would be interested in partnering with your digitization project, or if you are interested in learning more about our digitization services, please contact Kara Alexander, Digital Media Specialist, Digital Collections Services.