The deadline for the Burgess Undergraduate Research Award has been extended!
- Are you an undergraduate student at IU?
- Did you use the IU Libraries to conduct research for an outstanding project this year?
- Did you demonstrate extraordinary skill and creativity in the application of the services and collections of IU Libraries as part of that project?
- Could you use a $500 prize?!?
If you answered “yes” to these questions, you may be qualified to apply for the Sam Burgess Undergraduate Library Research Award.
You will need to fill out the application form, provide a copy of your successful research project, and get a nomination and letter of support from the professor in whose course you conducted your research. The deadline has been extended to Friday, March 27, 2015, at 5:00 pm, and the winner will be announced in early April.
For more details, read on!
To be eligible, student nominees must:
- Be currently enrolled as an IU undergraduate at any class level and in any discipline,
- Have completed their research paper for a credit course at IU during the 2013-2014 academic year,
- Agree that the paper and application materials will become property of IU Libraries and may be publicly displayed or included in IUScholarWorks, IU’s digital research repository, and
- Perform individual research (group papers are not eligible)
Submissions will be judged based on how well they demonstrate the following:
- Sophistication, originality and/or unusual depth or breadth in the use of library resources and collections in any format,
Effective application of information literacy principles:
- Determining information needs
- Evaluating and analyzing information
- Managing, organizing, and synthesizing information
- Applying information in the context of the research paper
- Communicating information in formats appropriate to an academic audience
- Making responsible use of information by providing appropriate and accurate citations and credits, and
- Evidence of significant personal learning and an understanding of the process of research and inquiry
Please submit materials unbound (i.e. no staples), placed in an envelope or folder to:
Herman B Wells Library 234
1320 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
If you have questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org