Bowker's State Publications: a provisional list of the official publications of the several states of the United States from their organization. Indiana.
[About this page: Because of the fragile nature of the text and the small font, it was re-keyed by the staff of the ET2 Government Information at the IUB Wells Library. Questions and comments are welcome.]
List compiled from material furnished by W. E. Henry, State Librarian.
Occupation by the French, 1900. Cession to Great Britain 1763. Embraced in Province of Quebec, 1774. Conquest from the British, by Clark, 1776-79. Part of Northwest Territory, 1787. Organized as Indiana Territory, consisting of all Northwest Territory west of present eastern boundary of Indiana, 1800. Admission as a State, 1816.
State published a "Check-list of Indiana documents, 1850-60" and the Ind. Historical Socy. pamphlet no. 5 is a "Descriptive Catalogue of the Official Publications of the Territory and State of Indiana, 1800-1890," by Daniel Walt Howe. Reports published in pamphlet form and not bound up in Senate, House or Documentary Journals have, for the most part, disappeared and count not be recorded. Annual reports are made to the Governor; biennial, to the Legislature. Place of publication of all State publications is Indianapolis unless otherwise stated.
Documentary journals: Annual reports of the officers of State, etc., 1835-1901. '35-1901.
Note. Prior to 1835, rpts. were pub. in Senate and House Journals. Variously entitled Documents, Senate and House Docs., Documentary Journals, Annual Reports. Printed annually till 1841; biennially since. V. for 1835 wrongly marked 1836. 1856/67, 64/65, 69/71, 74/76, 76/77, 78/79, 79, 80/81, 88/89, in 2 v. each; 1962/63 in 4 v.
For Index to these Journals see the 23d bien. rpt. of the State Librarian, 1890/1900, p. 298.
CONSTITUTION AND CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTIONS.
- Convention (Corydon), 1816. Journal. Louisville, '16. 69p.
- Convention for Revision of Constitution, 1850-1851. Report of debates and proceedingins. '50. 2 v.
- — Journal. 1851. 1085p.
- — Constitution of the State, and the address of Constitutional Convention. New Albany. 1851. 32p.
EXECUTIVE AND STAFF
Governor (1816- ). Reprieves, commutations, and pardons. Biennial report, 1853-1901. ea. 1 v.
Note: Messages, addresses, and proclamations issued in pamphlet form and bound in Documentary Journals, 1835-1888; previous and since in House Journal.
- — Report on contingent and office expenses, Jan. 1863, Jan. 1879, Jan. 1881.
- — Messages, proclamations, vetoes, and other public documents issued by J.A. Mount, 1897-1901. 1901. 105p.
Adjutant-general (1816- ). Annual report to the Governor, 1844-99. [45?]-1900. ea. 1 v.
Note: Printed biennially. Earlier rpts are in Senate and House journals.
- — Communication to the General Assembly, Nov. 1865. '65. 18p.
- — Report: Indiana in the War of the Rebellion, rosters of officers and enlisted men, etc., 1861-65; by W. H. H. Terrell. '65-69. 8 v.
- — Record of Indiana volunteers in the Spanish-American war, 1898-99. 1900. 968p.
- Attorney-general (1821- ). Report, Annual 1873-75, biennial 1875-1900. '73-1901. ea. 1 v.
Auditor of State (1816- ). Annual report, 1835-1900/01, with reports of the Insurance, Building and Loan, Bank and Land Depts. App.: Proceedings State Board of Tax Commissioners. ['36?]-1901.
Note: Known as Auditor of Public Accounts till 1861. Rpts. prior to 1836 are in Senate and House journals.
- Bank Department. Annual Report. 1876/77-1900/01.
- Building and Loan Association Department. Annual report, 1892/93-1901.
- Insurance Department. Annual report, 1892/93-1901.
- Land Department. Annual report, 1876/77-1901.
- Commissary-general (1851- ). Report, May 29-Nov. 2, 1861. 94p.
- Custodian of Public Buildings. (1868- ). Biennial report, 1889/90-1901. ea. 1 v.
Quartermaster-general. (1816- ). Annual report, 1844-80, 91/92.
Note: Rpts. 1848, 49, 51-57, 59, 60, 63, 66-73, 76 were omitted from the Documentary Journals. Rpts since 1877/78 biennial. Rpt. 1891/92 bound with rpt of Adj. gen. 1890-92.
Secretary of State (1816- ). Report, annual 1835-84, biennial 1885-1901. ea. 1 v.
Note: Prior to 1835 are in Senate and House journals. Publication 1836, 37 doubtful. Rpts. 1852, 58, 59, 61-70, 72 were omitted from the Documentary journals.
See also under Institutions, Libraries, State Library
Treasurer (1816- ). Annual report, 1835-1900/01. ea 1 v.
Note: Prior to 1835 are in Senate and House journals.
See also under Inspection and Regulations, Education, Note.
INSPECTION AND REGULATION.
[Agriculture.] Board of Agriculture. (1851- ). Annual report, 1851-1900/01. '52-1901.
Note: 1851 wrongly marked 1852. V. 15, 1873, is called the 23d ann. rpt., from which date there has been 1 v. a year. Rpt. for 1853 contains a report of a geological survey of the State by R. T. Brown, "Geological Agent." 27th rpt. contains an index of rpts for years 1851-77. None of the ann. rpts are in the Documentary journals, but in 1874, 76, 80, 82 there were financial rpts. which are in Documentary journals.
- — Premium list of the 18th Ind. State fair, Indianapolis, Sept. 27-Oct. 2, 1880. il. ['80] 48p.
- — Special report on the hog. Prep. under the direction of W. W. Stevens and Charles Downing. 1900. 198p.
- — See also forward Geology.
- Bank Department. See under Executive and Staff, Auditor of State.
- Building and Loan Association Department. See under Executive and Staff, Auditor of State.
- [Canals.] See forward Internal Improvements.
[Charities.] Board of State Charities. (1889- ). Annual report, 1889-1900/01. ea 1 v.
— Comparative exhibit of State charitable and coorectional institutions. Quarterly bulletin, nos. 1-45, 1889-June 1900.
Note: Show movement of population, expenditure, averages, per capitas, statistics, officers, employees, etc.
See also under Legislatures, Journals, Docs., etc. 1887, 1901.
- — Comparative exhibit of State charitable and coorectional institutions. Quarterly bulletin, nos. 1-45, 1889-June 1900.
Climate and Crop Service. Monthly report. v. 1-5, 1896-1900.
- — Weekly crop bulletin. 1899-1900.
- [Colonization.] State Board of Colonization. (1852- ). Report, annual 1852-60, 63.
[Education.] Superintendent of Public Instruction. (1848- ). Report, annual. 1848-84, biennial 1885/86-1900/01. '44-1902. ea. 1 v.
Note: Office was Supt. of Common Schools until 1852. Treasurer of State being ex officio Supt. There has been some confusion in the numbering of rpts; beginning 1861/62 a double system of enumeration, annual and biennial, was employed, although rpts were issued annually to and including 1884, except for 1865. Since then only biennial rpts. have been issued, and they are numbered with reference only to previous "biennial" rpts., that for 1885/86 being called the 13th and subsequent enumeration being in regular order. Rpt. for 1848 not incl. in Documentary Journals.
- — Revised school law, approved March 5, 1855. '55. 52p.
- — Course of study for district schools; annual, 1889-95.
- — Outlines of work for teacher's institutes. 1881. '81. 40p.
- — Same, annual, 1889-1900.
- — Notice to bidders on school fund refunding bonds; information as to laws, etc. 1889.
- — School law and the State constitution. Issued by D. M. Geeting. 1897. 421p.
- — Arbor and Bird Day program, Oct. 27, 1899. '99. 50p.
- — State manual and uniform course of study for the elementary and high schools, 1899. '99. 186p.
- [Factories.] Department of Factory Inspection (1897- ). Annual report. 1897-1901. '98-1901.
[Fish and Game.] Fisheries and Game Commission. Report, annual 1883-1887, biennial 1889/90-99/1900. ea. 1 v.
Note: Office called Commissioner of Fisheres until 1900.
[Geology.] State Geologist (1837-39). Report, 1837, 38; by D. D. Owen.
- — Same; (reprinted in 1 v.) 1859. 2 pts. 63, 69p.
- — (1853.) Report by R. T. Brown, Geological Agent. (In annual report of Board of Agriculture, 1853.)
— (1859-60.) Report, 1859/60; by D. D. Owen. 368p.
Note: This survey made under supervision of the State Board of Agriculture.
— (1869- ). Annual report, 1869-1900. maps. ea 1 v.
Note: 1869, 71, 72 have maps separately bound. Rpt. for 1897 contains a descriptive catalogue of the birds of Indiana, by A. W. Butler; rpt for 1900 a catalogue of flowering plants, ferns, etc. indigenous to Indiana.
See below note under Dept. of Geol. and Nat'l Resources.
- — Report by E. T. Cox. Dec. 11, 1874.
- — Birds of Indiana; by A. W. Butler. (In 1897 report). 634p.
Department of Geology and Natural Resources (1869- ). Report, annual 1869-1901. maps.
Note: 1869-70 called Dept. of Geol. and Natural Science and put under control of State Board of Agriculture; 1879, combined with Bureau of Statistics; separated therefrom 1881, re-named Dept. of Geol. and Natural History and put under charge of State Geologist; re-organized, 1889, superseding the offices of Mine Inspector and Oil Inspector, and adding a Division on Natural Gas, the State Geologist to be head of the Department and styled Director. Some discrepancies in enumeration of rpts., that for 1881 being called 11th annual and those for 1900 and 1901, 25th and 26th rpts. respectively.
[Health.] Board of Health (1881- ). Annual report, 1882-1901. ea 1 v.
Note: None of the rpts are in the Documentary journals.
- — Bulletin, quarterly. v. 1-3. -99. n. t. p.
- Insurance Department. See under Executive and Staff, Auditor of State.
[Internal Improvements.] Agent of 3 per cent. Fund (1822-35). Reports.
Note: In Senate and House journals. Duties transferred to Treasurer in 1836. Act of May 20, 1852, provided that Treasurer and Auditor should thereafter include statements of this fund in their ann. rpts. Residue of fund distributed to counties by act of Apr. 8, 1881.
- Board of Internal Improvements. (1836-42.) Annual report, 1st-6th, 1836-41.
Canal Commissioners. (1828-36). Annual report, 1828-35.
Note: For Wabash and Erie Canal. Office merged in Board of Internal Improvements.
Canal Fund Commissioners. (1832-37). Report, 1835, 1836.
Note: At first confined to Wabash and Erie Canal. Succeeded by Fund Commissioners of Ind. Prior rpts are in House and Senate journals.
Fund Commissioners. (1837-42). Annual report, 1837-41.
Note: During 1841 a single Fund Commissioner took the place of this Board. In 1842 duties were transferred to the newly created office of Agent of State.
Michigan Road Commissioner. (1831-44). Annual report, 1836-39.
Note: Office frequently abolished and re-created. Finally discontinued in 1844 and books, etc. transferred to Auditor.
New Albany and Vincennes Turnpike Road, Superintendents of (1840-50). Annual report, 1845-50.
Note: Company of construction incorporated 1830; came under supervision of Board of Internal Improvements 1836; by Act of 1840 put in charge of Superintendents, who reported as above.
State Agent (1842-73). Report, annual 1842-64, biennial 1865/66-71/72.
Note: Called Agent of State, 1842-52. Office discontinued Feb. 10, 1873, and books, etc., transferred to Auditor.
Wabash and Erie Canal. (1828- ). Reports, 1828-74.
- 1828-36. See Canal Commissioners.
- 1832-37. See Canal Fund Commissioners.
- 1836-42. See Board of Internal Improvements.
- 1837-42. See Fund Commissioners.
- 1843-46. Between the abolishment of the Board of Internal Improvements and the creation of the Board of Trustees, there were ann. rpts. on the Canal by various specially appointed Commissioners.
1847-74. See next entry.
Note: During first year called Wabash and Miami Canal.
Wabash and Erie Canal, Board of Trustees of (1847-75). Annual report, 1847-74.
Note: Rpt. for 1874 contains complete financial statement for years 1847-74.
- Wabash River Commissioners. (1822, 24-32). Reports, 1824-32.
— (1834-37). Annual report. 1835-37.
Note: Merged in the Baord of Internal Improvements.
- Land Department. See Under Executive and Staff, Auditor of State.
Live-Stock Sanitary Commission (1889- ). Annual report, 1889-95. ea. 1 v.
See also under Miscellaneous, Expositions.
- [Medicine.] Board of Medical Registration and Examination. Annual report, 1st-2d, 1898-99, '99-1900.
Mine Inspector. (1879-89). Annual report, 1st-8th, 1879/80, 81-86, 87/88.
Note: 4th and 5th rpts. numbered respectively 3d and 4th. Superceeded by Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources.
[Oil]. State Inspector of Oils. (1879-89) Annual report, 1879/80-88.
Note: Superceded by Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources.
- [Pharmacy]. Board of Pharmacy. Annual report, 1st. 1900. 1900.
- [Railroads.] See forward under Taxation.
[Sinking Fund]. Board of Commissioners of Sinking Fund (1834-67) Annual report, 1835-65.
Note: Rpts. prior to 1835 are in Senate and House journals. Merged with State Debt Sinking Fund Commission.
See also under Legislature. Journals, Docs, etc., 1846.
State Debt Sinking Fund Commission. (1852-73). Report, Jan. 7, 1865.
Note: By Act of Dec. 21, 1865, the State Debt Sinking Fund and the Sinking Fund proper were consolidated under the former name and put in charge of the Auditor, Treasurer, and Agent of State. Matters relating to this fund are included to the separate reports of the various officers composing the commission, and report recorded here is the only one of the commission included in the Documentary Journals.
- State Debt Sinking Fund Commission. (1852-73). Report, Jan. 7, 1865.
[Statistics.] Bureau of Statistics (1879- ). Report, 1st-6th annual, 1879-84, 1st-9th biennial 1885/86-1900/01. '80-1901. ea 1 v.
Note: Called Ind. Bureau of Statistics and Geology until 1883. See back under Geology. Finalncial rpts. for 1879 are in Documentary journals, but regular rpts. were not included.
- — Financial report, 1879.
[Taxation.] State Board of Equalization (1852- ). Report, 1852, 59, 64, 69, 73-90. Note: Rpts. 1869. 73-80, are in rpts. of Auditor for those years except 1886 which was published separately.
- — Proceedings in the assessment and equalization of railroad property for the purpose of taxation 1852, 59, 64, 69, 73-90.
- Board of State Tax Commissioners. Report, annual 1891-94, biennial 1894/95 - 1900/01.
- — Annual conference convention of the Board and the county assessors. March, 1900, 01. '00-01.
— Indiana railroad map. 1900. 1900. 35 x 23. folded in 16°.
Note: Proceedings since 1891 are also in rpts. of Auditor for each year.
[Agriculture.] Purdue University (1865- ). Annual report, 1870, 74-95.
Note: Called Ind. Agricultural College until 1869. Formally opened 1874. Rpts. published biennially from 1885. Rpt. for 1874 contains a history of the institutions.
- — Annual catalogue, 1874-1901. (1874-93). (1894-1901).
- — Report of trustees, 1870. 4 p.
- — Report of Treasurer, 1875. 4p.
- — Agricultural Experiment Station. Annual Report, 1888-1891.
- — — Monthly Bulletin, 1887-97.
[Banks]. State Bank (1817-58). Annual Report, 1835-58.
Note: Bank of Vincennes was the State Bank 1817-34, rpts. are in Senate and House Journals.
See also under Legislature, Journals, Docs, etc., 1867.
- Bank of State (1855-65). Annual report, 1856-64.
- — Charter of the Bank of the State of Indiana and by-laws of the directors. 1856.
[Blind.] Institute for the Education of the Blind (1847- ). Annual report, 1st-54th. 1847-99/1900.
Note: Biennial 1851/52.
[Deaf and Dumb.] Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb (1844- ). Annual report, 1st-57th. 1844-99/1900. ea 1 v.
Note: Called Asylum for Educating the Deaf and Dumb until 1879. Rpt. no. 61 in special pm. printed by pupils.
[Education.] Indiana State University (1820- ). Report, annual 1828-85, biennial 1885-1901.
Note: Called state Seminary until 1828; Ind. College 1828-52. There are supplemental rpts for 1851, 54, 56.
— Annual catalogue, 1835-1901.
Note: Prior to 1835 in Senate and House journals.
- — Addresses by Gov. Wright and Presidnet Daily, Aug. 2, 1854. '54. 10, 20p.
- — Annual catalogue, 1835-1901.
State Normal School (Terre Haute, 1865- ) Report, Annual 1870-85, biennial 1886-1900.
Note: This is the only State Normal School of Indiana. Fourth rpt. covers years 1873/74, yet rpts for 1875-85 are numbered 6th-16th.
[Feeble-Minded.] Indiana School for Feeble-Minded Youth. (Fort Wayne, 1879- ). Annual report, 1st - 22d, 1879-99/1900, '87-1900.
Note: Called Asylum for Feeble-Minded Children till 1887, and rpts. combined with those of the Soldiers' and Seamen's Home, at Knightstown, where it was located until 1887.
- — Hints to employees, May 1, 1898. '98.
[Horticulture.] State Horticultural Society (1875- ). Annual report, 1862-96. ea 1 v.
Note: Rpts. were privately published by the Society until 1875, when it became a State Institution. Rpt. for 1888 is bound with agricultural rpt. for that year; reports for 1870, 71, are the only regular rpts. contained in the Documentary journals, but there were financial rpts. contained therein for the years 1876, 78-81.
[Insane.] Central Indiana Hospital for the Insane. (1845- ). Annual report, 1845-99/1900. ['46]-1901. ea 1 v.
Note: Called Ind. Hospital for the Insane until 1890. Rpts. erroneously numbered. Divided in 1875 into Dept. for Men and Dept. for Women.
See also under Legislature, Journals, Docs., etc. 1887, 89.
- — Reports of additional hospitals, 1886. pm. 126p.
- — Dept. for Women. Report of Provisional Board, July 1876, Dec. 1876, 78.
- — — Report of Supt. of Construction, 1879-80.
- Eastern Insane Hospital (Richmond, 1889- ). Annual report, 1890-1900.
- Northern Insane Hospital (Logansport, 1889- ). Biennial report, 1890-1900.
- Southern Insane Hospital (Evansville, 1889- ) Biennial report, 1890-1900.
[Libraries]. State Library (1825- ). Report of State Librarian, annual 1825-50, biennial 1850-1900. ea 1 v.
Note: Sec. of State ex officio State Librarian until 1841. Rpts. prior to 1835 contained in House and Senate journals, and a few are contained in the latter which are omitted from the Documentary journals. Rpts. for 1839 not printed. Rpts. 1881-88 were omitted from Documentary journals but issued separately. Rpts. 1890-94 called Rpt. of Purchasing Board of the State Library and the State Librarian.
- — Catalogue and Rules and regulations. 1841, 59, 69, 72.
- — Catalogue. Author and Title. 1898. 626p.
- — Bulletin. 1st-3d series, [1897-99].
- — Bibliography of cities and towns, 1898. 55p.
- — Bibliography of taxation, 1898. 24p.
- — [Latest available statistics upon libraries in Ind, April 1898.] n.t.p. ['98.] (4)p.
- — Legislative and State manual, 1899-1900. By W. E. Henry, State Librarian. '99. il. 1254p.
- — The Library laws of Ind. 1901. 24p.
Supreme Court Library (1867- ). Catalogue of law books, 1872, 89, 98. '72-98.
Note: Formerly part of State Library.
- Public Library Commission. Biennial report, 1st, 1899/1900. 1900.
[Prisons.] State Prison, South (Jeffersonville, 1821-96). Annual report, 1921-1896.
Note: Rpts of Visitor, Superintendents, etc., until 1854, of Chaplain, Warden, Physicians, Directors, etc., 1846-47, thereafter only the Directors reported. Rpts. 1848-53 numbered 1st-8th; 1854 also numbered 8th; 1858-64 numbered 12th-18th; others not numbered. In 1895 name was changed to Indiana Reformatory, which see below under Reformatories.
State Prison, North (1859- ). Annual report, 1860-96.
Note: Rpts, 1860-64 numbered 1st-5th; others not numbered.
Women's Prison (1889- ). Annual report, 1890-1901.
Note: Incl till 1899 in rpts of Reform School for Girls, which see forward under Reformatories.
- State Prison, North (1859- ). Annual report, 1860-96.
- — Reasons for asking for the separation of the Woman's Prison from the Reform School for Girls. n.p. [1899?] 7p.
[Reformatories.] Indiana Reformatory (Jefforsonville, 1896- ). Biennial report, 1st, 2d, 1896/98-99/1900. Jeffersonville, '98.
Reform School for Boys (Plainfield, 1867- ). Annual report, 1st - 33d, 1867-98/99. '68-99.
Note: Called House of Refuge for Juvenile Offenders until 1883.
Reform School for Girls (1869- ). Annual report, 1st-29th, 1870-99/1900.
Note: Called Ind. Reformatory Institution for Women and Girls until 1889; Indiana Reform School for Girls and Women's Prison, 1889-99. In 1899 name was changed to above and the Women's Prison made a separate institution. Reports of latter incl. with those of former through 1898/99.
- Reform School for Boys (Plainfield, 1867- ). Annual report, 1st - 33d, 1867-98/99. '68-99.
[Science.] Indiana Academy of Science. Annual proceedings. 1891-1900. Brookville, '92-1901 ea. 1 v.
Note: Receives State aid.
Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans' Asylum (1867- ). Annual report, 1868-99/1900. '76-1901.
Note: Called Ind. Soldiers' and Seamen's Home, 1867-87; rpts, 1879-87 combined with those of Asylum for Feeble Minded Children. For historical sketch see rpt. for 1898, p. 51-59. Rpts. 1897/98-99/1900 called nos. 20-22.
- Soldiers' Home (Lafayette). Annual report, 1895-1900.
Supreme Court. Blackford's Reports, 1817-47. '30-. 8 v.
Note: Privately published, with aid of State subscriptions. A 2d ed., with annotations by E. A. Davis, and some omitted opinions, has been published.
— Indiana Reports, v. 1-153, 1847-1900. '52-1900.
Cont.: V.1-2, 1847-51; by H. E. Carter. 3-7, 1851-56; by A. G. Porter. 8-14, 1856-60; by G. Tanner. 15-17, 1860-1861; by B. Harrison. 18-22, 1862-64; by M. C. Kerr. 23-29, 1864-68; by B. Harrison. 30-53, 1868-76; by J.B. Black. 54-70, 1876-80; by A. N. Martin. 71-99, 1880-84; by F. M. Dice. 100-116, 1884-88; by J. W. Kern. 117-132, 1888-92; by J. L. Griffiths. 133-144, 1893-94; by S. R. Moon. 145-152, 1894-1900; by C. F. Remy.
- — List of Indiana lawyers, judges, and prosecutors. Ed. by R.A. Brown. 1899. pm.
- — Rules adopted Jan. 4, 1900, in force from and after Nov. 26, 1900. Ed. by R. A. Brown. 1900.
Appellate Court. Indiana Appellate Court Reports, v. 1-25, 1890-1900. '91-1900.
Cont.: v. 1-5, 1890-92, by J. L. Griffiths. 6-14, 1892-95; by S. R. Moon. 15-25, 1897-1900, by C. F. Remy.
LEGISLATURE. [Called GENERAL ASSEMBLY.]
Sessions annual to 1857; biennial since in odd years, beginning in January. The 42d session is styled 43d; the 43d, 44th, and so on to date. There were special sessions, sometimes designated "called sessions," in 1858, 61, 65, 69, 72, 75, 77, 79, 81, 85.
[Laws of the State.] Laws, annual 1817-51, biennial 1852-97. ea 1 v.
Note: As the sessions under the Constitution of 1816 usually began in December, the laws were usually designated as of the year following the commencement of the session. The laws of 1838 were included in the Revised Statutes pub. in that year. Laws of the 44th sess. designated 45th sess., by a misprint, and the error has been continued in subsequent sessions. Special session laws since 1851 bound separately, except 1875, 77, 79, 81, 85. There were also separate volumes of "Special" or "Local" Acts in 1818, 24, 31, 35-37, 38-52, and of "Militia Laws" in 1824 and 1831. For full description and tabulation of sessions and laws see " A Descriptive Catalogue of the Official Publications of Indiana," which is no. 5 of Ind. Hist. Soc'y Pamphlets, by D. W. Howe.
- — Revised laws of Indiana, adopted and enacted by the General Assembly at their eighth session [etc.]. Arranged and published by authority of the General Assembly. Corydon, 1824. 488p.
- — Revised laws of Indiana, in which are comprised all such acts of a general nature as are in force in said State; adopted and enacted by the General Assembly at their fifteenth session [etc.]. Arranged and published by authority of the General Assembly. 1831. 596p.
— Revised statutes of the State of Indiana, adpoted and enacted by the General Assembly at their fifteenth session [etc.]. Arranged, compiled and published by authority of the General Assembly. 1838. 667p.
Note: The revisers are not named in the revisions of 1824, 31, 38.
- — Revised statutes of the State of Indiana, passed at the twenty-seventh session of the General Assembly [etc.]. Printed and published according to law. [Revised by S: Bigger and G: H. Dunn.] 1843. 1114p.
— Revised statutes of the State of Indiana, passed at the thirty-sixth session of the General Assembly [etc.]. Printed and published according to law. [Revised by James S. Hester.] 1852. 2 v.
Note: An edition in German also printed by authority of the State.
— By authority of the General Assembly. The revised statutes of Indiana [etc.]. Collated and annotated by James S. Frazer, J. H. Stotsenburg and David Turpie, Commissioners. Chicago, 1881. 1642p.
Note: This revision, although formally authorized by the General Assembly, was not formally adopted and approved by it.
There are also numerous compilations by private firms.
— [Statutory Revision]. Commission to Codify the Insurance Laws. (1879.) Report, 1881. 25, 36p.
Note: Not incl. in Documentary Journals.
- — [Special Laws.] [Elections.] Manual of election law; by J. P. Dunn, Jr. 1889. 95p.
- — — Same; rev. 1892. 109p.
- — [Highways]. Laws prescribing the duties of the Supervors of Public Highwayts. 1869. 18p.
- — [Schools]. Act to provide for a general and uniform system of common schools and school libraries. etc. 1852. 22p.
- — — Same. 1865. 51p.
- — — School laws as amended 1865, 67,69. '69. 96p.
- — — Same. 1873.
- — — Same, as amended to March 15, 1877; with opinions, instructions, and judicial decisions. '77.
- — — Same, 1883, 93, 95.
- — — See also under Inspection and Regulation, Education.
- — [Taxation.] Act concerning taxation in the State, providing for the assessment, levy and collection of taxes, and prescribing the duties of officers in relation thereto. Approved March 29, 1881. '81. 90p.
- — — Act concerning assessment of property for taxation in Ind. n.d.
- — — Same; approved March 6, 1891. '91. 103, 14p.
- — — Amended tax laws, 1893-95. 2 v.
- [Journals, Documents, etc. ] Senate Journal, 1st-62d sess., annual 1816-51, biennial 1852-1901. ea. 1 v.
- — House journal, 1-62d sess., annual 1816-51, biennial 1852-1901. ea. 1 v.
— Brevier legislative reports; by W. H. and A. E. Drapier. 1858-87. 24 v.
Note: Condensed rpts of debates and proceedings; semi-official in character, the reporters being most of the time official stenographers of the Gen. Ass'y. State buys part of ed. V. 1 (1858) entitled The Legislative Sentinel; v. 3, 15, 16 not published.
- — Calendar of bills and joint resolutions offered and passed in the House, sess. 55-60, 1887-97. (Bound with journal).
- — Legislative manual, 1899-1900. See under Institutions, Libraries, State Library.
- — Constitution of the State [and] Standing rules and orders for the government of the Senate, 1891. '91. 64p.
- Same [and] Standing rules and orders for the government of the House of Representatives, 1891. '91. 62p.
- — Report of the joint select committee to whom was referred the communication of C. Butler in rel. to the public debt. 1846.
- — Journal of the bank investigating committee of the Senate. 1857.
- — Report and bill of the Insurance Commission. 1881.
- — Report of the special Senate committee on benevolent institutions of the State. 1887
- — Report of the committee of the House on affairs of Indiana Hospital for the Insane, 1887.
- — Report of the joint committee on investigation of the Indiana Hospital for the Insane, 1889. 596p.
— Report of committee on State education, benevolent, and correctional institutions, 1901. 115p.
- [Blind.] Board of Trustees for the Blind. Report on the blind of the State in the institutions at Columbus, O., and Louisville, Ky, 1846, 47.
- [Bonds.] Communication of the agent of the foreign holders of Ind. State bonds (C: Butler) to the Governor. 1845.
- [Chickamauga.] Indiana Commissioners for Cickamauga National Military Park. Indiana at Chickamauga, 1863-1900. Report. 1900. 318p.
[Civil War.] Agent of State to Purchase Arms. Report of Robert Dale Owen, Aug. 1, 1862.
- Allotmeent Commissioner. Report Dec. 7, 1868.
- Arsenal, State. Report. 1863. 7p.
- — Report, Mary 3, 1861-Dec. 31, 1862.
- Board of Loan Commissioners. Report of proceedings, 1861-Jan. 9 1863. '63.
- Draft Commissioners. Report, Dec. 26, 1862.
- Finance Bureau. Report May 1, 1864.
- Gettysburg Soliders' National Cemetery. Report, 1863-64. '65. 25p.
- Hospital Surgeons. Report Jan. 6, 1863. 6p.
- Indiana Legion. Report of officers, 1862.
- — Report of operations, 1863-64. '65. 104p.
- Military Agents. Report Dec. 1864.
- Military Auditing Committee (1861-65). Report, 1861-64. 44p.
- Ordnance Officer. Report, Dec. 15, 1864. '65 7p.
- Pay Agents. Report, Dec. 31, 1862.
- Paymaster, State (1861-67). Report, 1862, 64. 7p.
- Sanitary Commission. Report, Jan. 2, 1865.
- Special Agents to Visit Troops, etc. Report, 1863-64.
- See also under Executive and Staff, Adjutant-general.
[Expositions.] Vienna Exposition Commissioner. Report of E. T. Cox, representing Ind. at the Vienna Exposition, 1873. '73
Note: In Geological rpt. for that year.
- Centennial Commissioner. Report of E. T. Cox, representing Ind. at the Centennial exhibition of Philadelphia, 1876. '76.
- Board of World's Fair Managers. Law constituting the Board, rules and regulations for its government, etc. [1893.] 19p
- World's Fair Monographs: Libraries in Indiana; by J.P. Dunn. 1892. 35p.
- — Live stock of Indiana; by Mrs. V.C. Meredith. 1892. 12p.
- — Agricultural resources and development of Indiana; by J.B. Conner. 1892. 24p.
- — Associated work of the women of Indiana; by Ida A. Harper. 1892. 52p.
- Fee and Salary Commission. Report, 1900, 01. '00-1901. 343p.
[Indianapolis.] Agent of State for Indianapolis. (1821-44). Report, 1835. 40.
Note: Some other rpts are in Senate and House journals. In 1844 books were transferred to Auditor of State.
[Institutions.] Commission on New Hospitals. Report, Apr. 11, 1883-Dec. 7, 1886. '86. 1 v.
Legislative Commission on Penal, Benevolent, and Educational Institutions. Report, 1899. '99. 63p.
See also under inspection and Regulation, Charities; and under Legislature, Journals, Docs., etc. 1887, 1901.
- Legislative Commission on Penal, Benevolent, and Educational Institutions. Report, 1899. '99. 63p.
- [Insurance.] Report of J.A. Finch, Special Commissioner to attend national Insurance Conventions, 1875-76. '77.
- [Momenee Rock.] Board of Commissioners of Momenee Rock. Report, 1893-94.
Soldiers' and Sailors Monument Commissioners. (1887- ). Annual report, 1887-95.
Note: 1st and 3d rpts. called biennial.
State House Commissioners. (Old State House. 1832-35.) Annual report, 1832-35.
— (New State House, 1877-89.) Report, quarterly 1877-85, annual 1885-89. ea. 1 v.
Note: Some of quarterly rpts not printed. Final rpt. contains synopsis of proceedings from commencement. May 24, 1877, to completion of building, Oct. 2, 1888.
- — Proceedings of the laying of the corner stone of the new capital of Ind., 28th Sept., 1880, at Indianapolis, '80. 30p.
- — (New State House, 1877-89.) Report, quarterly 1877-85, annual 1885-89. ea. 1 v.
[Swamp Land.] Clerk of Swamp Land Records (1865- ). Report, 1874, 76.
Note: In Documentary journals.
Governor and Judges (1800- ). Laws, 1st-4th sess., Jan. 12, 1801-Sept. 20, 1803. Frankfort, Ky., '02-04.
Note: Only one complete set known to exist.
General Assembly (1805-15). Laws, 1st-5th Assembly, July 29, 1805-Dec. 4, 1815. Vincennes, n.d.
Note: Each assembly held 2 sessions. The laws of the Governor and Judges and of the First Territorial General Assembly were privately reprinted and published in one volume at Paoli in 1886.
— Laws of the Indiana Territory comprising those acts formerly in force and as revised by Messrs. John Rice Jones and John Johnson, and passed, after amendments, by the Legislature. Vincennes, 1807.
Note: Known as the "Revision of 1807."
A private compilation was published in 1815 at Vincennes, entitled: "A Compend of the Acts of Indiana from the year eighteen hundred and seven until that of eighteen hundred and fourteen, both inclusive. By Gen. W. Johnston, of Vincennes."
— Journal, 1805-15.
Note: Originally published in the newspaper Western Sun, printed at Vincennes by Elihu Stout. No other printed copies are known to exist, although it is supposed to have been separately rpinted and bound.
The Executive Journal, kept by Gen. John Gibson, Sec'y of the Territory, was printed by the State Historical Society as v.3, no. 3 of its publications in 1900.
See also: FINDING HISTORIC INDIANA DOCUMENTS