Applications for the Sam Burgess Undergraduate Library Research Award open at the beginning of the spring semester. To apply, fill out the application form below and ask a professor or instructor with whom you've worked extensively to endorse your application with a nomination form and a statement of support. Please allow ample time for your instructor or faculty member to upload a letter of recommendation by the deadline.
The 2024 deadline has not yet been set, but in past years the date has been immediately after spring break.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be currently enrolled as an IU Bloomington undergraduate at any class level and in any discipline.
- Have completed a research paper or project for a credit-bearing course at IU during the 2023 calendar year (January-December).
- Agree to the IUScholarWorks Repository License, which will enable IU Libraries to make your paper permanently accessible to the public.
- Have performed individual research (group or collaborative papers are not eligible).
Submissions will be judged based on how well they demonstrate the following:
- Sophistication, originality, and/or unusual depth or breadth in the use of library resources or collections in any format.
- Effective application of information literacy principles:
- Determining information needs;
- Evaluating and analyzing information;
- Managing, organizing, and synthesizing information;
- Applying information in the context of the research paper or project;
- Communicating information in formats appropriate to an academic audience;
- Making responsible use of information by providing appropriate citations and credits.
- Evidence of significant personal learning and an understanding of the process of research and inquiry.
Please complete the application form below and upload your paper or project, including a bibliography or source list, as well as a 500-750 word essay describing your research strategies and application of library tools and resources in completion of the paper or project, in PDF format. If the nature of your project is such that it cannot be presented in PDF format, please contact Library Advancement at libadv @ indiana . edu .
If you have questions, please email Christine Wagner at libadv @ indiana . edu .
View a list of previous award winners and their paper/project titles.
To be completed by the student applying for the award.