We are now accepting applications for the Sam Burgess Undergraduate Library Research Award, which includes a $1000 prize. To apply, fill out the application form below and ask a professor or instructor with whom you've worked extensively to endorse your application with a nomination form and a statement of support. The deadline is 5:00 pm on Monday, April 6, 2020 (extended due to COVID-19 issues).
To be eligible, you must:
- Be currently enrolled as an IU undergraduate at any class level and in any discipline.
- Have completed a research paper or project for a credit-bearing course at IU during the 2019 calendar year (January-December).
- Agree to the IUScholarWorks Repository License, which will enable IU Libraries to make your paper permanently accessible to the public.
- Have performed individual research (group or collaborative papers are not eligible).
Submissions will be judged based on how well they demonstrate the following:
- Sophistication, originality, and/or unusual depth or breadth in the use of library resources or collections in any format.
- Effective application of information literacy principles:
- Determining information needs;
- Evaluating and analyzing information;
- Managing, organizing, and synthesizing information;
- Applying information in the context of the research paper or project;
- Communicating information in formats appropriate to an academic audience;
- Making responsible use of information by providing appropriate citations and credits.
- Evidence of significant personal learning and an understanding of the process of research and inquiry.
Please complete the application form below and upload your paper or project, including a bibliography or source list, as well as a 500-750 word essay describing your research strategies and application of library tools and resources in completion of the paper or project, in PDF format. If the nature of your project is such that it cannot be presented in PDF format, you may deliver a physical copy to Library Administration, Herman B Wells Library 232, attention Christine Wagner.
If you have questions, please email Christine Wagner at libadv @ indiana . edu .
To be completed by the student applying for the award.