Archival Services: Transferring University Records, Faculty & Alumni Papers

Crowded file cabinets, storage rooms, and computer drives can make it difficult to effectively do the work of the University. Inactive university records of enduring value can and should be transferred to the University Archives, upon consultation with an archivist. Check the Records Retention and Disposition Schedule (RRSD) to see how long records should be maintained. If you don't see your records on the schedule or have questions, visit the University Records Management page to learn more or email For more information, please read about general procedures for transferring university records to the Archives and what to send.

In addition to university administrative records, the University Archives also selectively collects the papers of IU faculty in order to more fully document the activities of the University and its people. More information: Faculty papers

Student life is a major collecting focus of the Archives and we are always interested in speaking to alumni and their families about materials created and collected during their students years such as photographs, scrapbooks, diaries, and correspondence. Additionally, the University Archives is an appropriate repository for the records of student organizations