Accessibility and Disability Statement
The Cook Music Library strives to provide services, collections, and spaces to everyone in a welcoming and accessible environment.
Please send questions and feedback about this page or anything related to music library accessibility to Misti Shaw, Head of Public Services & Outreach (mistshaw @ indiana.edu; 812-855-6716). You may also view Assistance for Library Users With Disabilities at Wells Library, and the Libraries Accessibility Policy.
We also invite our patrons to view Assistive Technology and Accessibility Centers at IU, and the full list of Campus Accessibility Resources at IU.
Information and Offerings
The Cook Music Library is located within the Simon Music Library and Recital Center building located at 200 S. Jordan Avenue. The Simon Building entrances have ADA push buttons. There is no ADA push button inside at the library's entrance, but usually the doors are propped open. Call the circulation desk at 812-855-8541 to request immediate assistance navigating our entrance.
- From the Jordan Avenue entrance of the Simon building, take the lobby elevator to Floor 1F. Turn left; the library is at the end of the hallway.
- From the western entrances, take the elevator up to Floor 1F. Turn left; the library is at the end of the hallway.
- The Campus Bus Service can provide information on accessible bus options.
- Lot 480, located behind the Simon Music Center building, offers accessible parking to those who have an IU-issued D permit. This is the closest available parking for the Cook Music Library.
- ADA Metered parking is available in Lot 478 (Music Circle), located west of Merrill Hall (enter from 3rd street). Using this lot will require you to pass through the first floor and then exit Merrill Hall (there are ADA push buttons) before you can make your way on the sidewalks to the Simon building entrances.
- IU Parking Maps provide all accessible parking options.
- An elevator provides access to all floors of the music library. It is located near the stairwell (enter the music library, continue straight ahead, then turn right when you reach the stairwell).
- An alternative elevator located outside the music library (near its entrance) can be used when the music library elevator is out of service. Library staff will post signage and instructions when the main elevator is out of service.
- Men's and Women's restrooms are located on each floor. There are no unisex or single-stall private restrooms. Far-end stalls have grab bars. All toilets auto-flush. Restroom doors do not have push buttons.
First floor: enter the music library; just after passing the lobby (on right), turn right
Second and third floors: From the elevator, turn left, continue down hallways a few yards, turn left
- If you need a lactation station, please contact Misti Shaw, who will do her best to coordinate a clean and private space for you to use (mistshaw @ indiana.edu; 812-855-6716)
- The second floor is designated as a quiet floor
- Two group study rooms are available; each can be booked for individual use
- You may sit at any carrel that is not occupied. When using an unoccupied carrel, if the owner of the carrel approaches for use, relocate to any other vacant carrel. Carrels on the second floor are quietest.
- Disposable ear plugs are available at the front circulation desk.
- Headphones are available at the front circulation desk
- Student Technology Centers (computer labs) available on the first floor and third floor, includes PCs and Macs
- One workstation on the first floor has electronic adjustable height (located near the workstations with scanners)
- Headphones available at the circulation desk
- PCs include software such as Fusion (ZoomText and JAWS) and TextHelp Read&Write
- View the list of All Assistive Software available through ATAC
- For assistive hardware and adaptive technology not listed here, please visit ATAC
Upon request, public services library staff can assist you with:
- locating and retrieving library materials
- looking for digital versions of library materials
- arranging for extended loan periods, including for reserves materials
- arranging for proxy borrowing (where you can designate someone to check out items on your behalf)
- making enlarged copies of music scores
- helping you carry items to and from your vehicle
For these borrowing services, or to speak with us about other ways we can meet your needs, please contact us.
Primary contact: Misti Shaw, Head of Public Services and Outreach, mistshaw @ indiana.edu; 812-855-6716
For urgent needs: Music Library Circulation Desk: mlcirc @ indiana.edu; 812-855-8541
All music librarians are happy to assist you with research and consultation needs. Examples of such services include:
- One-on-one tours of the music library. These can be facilitated in person or via video (live and pre-recorded, time-permitting)
- One-on-one reading assistance. This can take place in person in our reference room, on the phone, or via chat
- One-on-one research assistance
- If you encounter barriers to using IU resources and databases, music library staff can assist you with navigating those tools, and, can forward concerns to the appropriate staff and vendors.
For research and consultation services, please contact Misti Shaw, Head of Public Services and Outreach: mistshaw @ indiana.edu; 812-855-6716. If your need is urgent, contact the Music Library Circulation desk: mlcirc @ indiana.edu; 812-855-8541
These items are available at the front circulation desk:
- Disposable ear plugs
- Cleaning wipes
- Booktrucks and carts to use in the library as you gather materials
- Tote bags, which can be taken outside the music library
- Temporary space for you to store large instruments or equipment during your library visit