The Learning Commons (LC) supports and enhances student learning and research by providing state of the art technology and resources in a collaborative academic environment.
Located on the first floor of the West Tower of the Wells Library, the LC is a 24/7 technology-infused learning center where students work on class assignments from start to finish. A partnership of the IU Libraries and University Information Technology Services, the LC offers pervasive wireless access, a tutorial center, research consultations, peer coaches, and technological support. Collaboration rooms are available on a first-come/first-serve basis and groups have priority.
The upper floors of the West Tower accomodate different needs: find space to study quietly, meet with groups, or practice presentations.
Learning Commons Policies
Respect for others and appropriate personal conduct are requirements for making the dynamic and academic environment of the LC possible.
- Any person who is disrupting or whose behavior threatens to disrupt the work of others in the LC will be asked to cease the disruptive activity or may be asked to leave.
- Unattended computers will be restarted after 15 minutes when patrons are waiting to use the LC equipment.
- Sleeping, offensive bodily hygiene, or behavior that results in complaints or threatens to damage library property, disruptive behavior, food/beverage distribution, soliciting, roughhousing, pets, rollerblades/skates, bicycles, etc. are not permitted in the LC.
Individuals using a collaboration room will be asked to move if the room is needed for a group. In addition:
- Rooms may not be reserved in advance
- Priority will be given to groups
- An individual may not “hold” a room for a group
- One room per group
- Rooms may not be used for course instruction or to hold office hours
- Speak in normal conversational tones.
- From midnight to 8am access to the LC requires proximity card access and is restricted to official IU affiliation. Anyone who cannot, upon request, present a valid IU photo ID or proof of official affiliation with IU will be asked to leave.
- Signs, displays, exhibits, posters, or other types of print or electronic communications are limited to those posted by LC service providers.
- Group meals and large-scale food distribution are prohibited.