The first official highway map published by the State of Indiana's State Highway Commission appeared in the Report of State Highway Commission published in the Yearbook of the State of Indiana. Earlier "road" maps, of course, were published by various other organizations and companies. Other Road and Highway Maps of Indiana,
Excerpt from the 1917 report...
"The enactment of a law creating a state highway commission, providing for the construction, reconstruction, maintenance, repair and control of public highways, and providing for co-operation with the Federal Government in the construction of rural post roads was passed by the General Assembly at the Seventieth Regular Session, 1917; approved by the Governor March 7, 1917, and became effective by the Governor's proclamation June 1, 1917...."
"One of the first duties prescribed by the statute is the "The Commission shall determine what roads shall be designated as MAIN MARKET HIGHWAYS"....."
"Main Market Highways
- No. 1. The road beginning at the Indiana and Michigan state line in St. Joseph County, Indiana, extending thence southernly through South Bend, Lakeville, Lapaz, Plymouth, Argos, Rochester, Greenoak, Mexico, Perue, Kokomo, Westfield, Carmel, Indianapolis, Scottsburg, Henryville, Sellersburg, New Albany, and Jeffersonville.
- No. 2. The road beginning at the Indiana and Illinois state line, extending thence easterly through Dyer, Schererville, Merrelville, Deepriver, Valparaiso, Westville, LaPorte, New Carlisle, South Bend, Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart, Dunlap, Goshen, Ligonier, Limmel, Wolf Lake, Churubusco and Fort Wayne to the Indiana and Ohio State line.
- No. 3 . The road beginning at the Indiana and Illinois state line, extending thence easterly through Terre Haute, Brazil, Knightsville, Purnamville, Stilesville, Plainfield, Indianapolis, Greenfield, Knightstown, Lewisville, Straughn, Cambridge City, Centerville and Richmond to the Indiana and Ohio State line.
- No. 4. The road beginning at Evansville, extending thence easterly through Chandler, Boonville, Genryville, Dale, Huntingburg, Jasper, Haysville, Kellersville, Crystal, Hillham, French Lick, Wet Baden, Paoli, Orleans, Mitchell, Bedford, Leesville, Medora, Vallonia, Brownstown, Seymour, Hayden, North Vernon, Nebraska, Holton, Versailles, Elrod, Dillsboro, Aurora and Lawrenceburg to the Indiana and Ohio state line.
- No. 5. The road beginning at the Indiana and Illinois state line, extending thence easterly through Vincennes, Wheatland, Washington, Loogootee, Shoals, Huron to Mitchell."
Return to Indiana State Highway Maps.